30 May 2015

The Classics Club TBR



So I’m finally doing it. I’m actually joining the Classics Club. I’ve actually made lists for this quite a few times in the past but then never posted them until today. For those of you who don’t know what the Classics Club is I’m going to link their Rules/FAQ page here for you to check out.

I’ve picked out 100 classic books to read, I started with the ones I owned and then added a few more that I just haven’t picked up yet. I’m setting my completion date to October 9th, 2016. I picked this date because it’s my birthday, more specifically it’ll be my 21st birthday and I think that it’s a good age to have read more classics. Without further ado, let’s start.
  1. Adams, Richard – Watership Down
  2. Alcott, Louisa May – Little Women
  3. Atwood, Margaret – A Handmaid’s Tale
  4. Atwood, Margaret – Blind Assassin
  5. Austen, Jane – Pride and Prejudice
  6. Braddon, Mary Elizabeth – Lady Audley’s Secret
  7. Bronte, Anne – Agnes Gray
  8. Bronte, Charlotte – Jane Eyre (reread)
  9. Bronte, Charlotte – Villette (reread)
  10. Bronte, Charlotte - Shirley
  11. Bronte, Emily – Wuthering Heights
  12. Burnett, Frances Hodgson – The Secret Garden
  13. Capote, Truman – In Cold Blood
  14. Chandler, Raymond – The Lady in the Lake
  15. Collins, Wilkie – The Woman in White
  16. Dickens, Charles – David Copperfield
  17. Dickens, Charles – The Pickwick Papers
  18. Dostoevsky, Fyodor - Notes from the Underground
  19. Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan – The Complete Sherlock Holmes
  20. Du Maurier, Daphne – Mary Anne
  21. Du Maurier, Daphne – Don’t Look Now and Other Stories
  22. Du Maurier, Daphne – I’ll Never Be Young Again
  23. Du Maurier, Daphne – Rebecca (reread)
  24. Eliot, George – Middlemarch
  25. Fitzgerald, F. Scott – Tender is the Night
  26. Fitzgerald, F. Scott – The Beautiful and Damned
  27. Fitzgerald, F. Scott – The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
  28. Foer, Jonathon Safran – Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
  29. Ford, Madox Ford – Parade’s End
  30. Frank, Anne – The Diary of a Young Girl (reread)
  31. Gaskell, Elizabeth – Cranford
  32. Gaskell, Elizabeth – The Life of Charlotte Bronte
  33. Gaskell, Elizabeth – Wives and Daughters
  34. Gibbons, Stella – My American
  35. Hardy, Thomas – Far From the Madding Crowd
  36. Hardy, Thomas – Tess of the D’Urbervilles
  37. Hartley, L.P. – The Go-Between
  38. Heller, Joseph – Catch-22
  39. Hemingway, Ernest – The Essential Hemingway
  40. Hugo, Victor – The Hunchback of Notre Dame
  41. Huxley, Aldous – Antic Hay
  42. Huxley, Aldous – Crome Yellow
  43. Huxley, Aldous – Brave New World (reread)
  44. James, Henry – The Golden Bowl
  45. Joyce, James – The Dubliners
  46. Keats, John – The Complete Poems
  47. Kerouac, Jack – On the Road
  48. Lawrence, D.H. – Sons and Lovers
  49. Lee, Harper – To Kill a Mockingbird (reread)
  50. Llewellyn, Richard – How Green Was My Valley
  51. Malory, Sir Thomas – Le Morte d’Arthur
  52. Marshall, Alan – I Can Jump Puddles
  53. Mitchell, Margaret – Gone with the Wind
  54. Mitford, Nancy – The Pursuit of Love
  55. Mitford, Nancy – Love in a Cold Climate
  56. Mitford, Nancy – Madam de Pompadour
  57. Mitford, Jessica – Hons and Rebels
  58. Montgomery, L.M. – Anne of Green Gables
  59. Nabokov, Vladimir – Pale Fire
  60. Nesbit, E – The Railway Children (reread)
  61. Nesbit, E – Five Children and It
  62. Orczy, Baroness Emmuska – The Scarlet Pimpernell
  63. Orwell, George – 1984
  64. Orwell, George – The Road to Wigan Pier
  65. Orwell, George – Down and Out in Paris and London
  66. Plath, Sylvia – The Bell Jar (reread)
  67. Plath, Sylvia – The Journals of Sylvia Plath
  68. Rand, Ayn – Atlas Shrugged
  69. Salinger, J.D. – Franny and Zooey
  70. Shakespeare, William – Hamlet
  71. Shakespeare, William – The Tempest
  72. Shakespeare, William – A Midsummer’s Night Dream
  73. Shelley, Mary – Frankenstein (reread)
  74. Shelley, Mary – The Last Man
  75. Shelley, Mary – Mathilda
  76. Shelley, Mary – Transformation
  77. Shelley, Mary - Valperga: Or, the Life and Adventures of Castruccio, Prince of Lucca
  78. Shelley, Mary – The Journals of Mary Shelley
  79. Shelley, Percy – Collected Poems
  80. Smith, Betty – A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
  81. Smith, Dodie – I Capture the Castle
  82. Stienbeck, John – East of Eden
  83. Stoker, Bram – Dracula
  84. Strachey, Julia – Cheerful Weather for the Wedding
  85. Thomas, Dylan – Collected Works
  86. Tolkien, J.R.R. – The Lord of the Rings
  87. Tolstoy, Leo – Anna Karenina
  88. Tolstoy, Leo – War and Peace
  89. Turner, Ethel Sybil – Seven Little Australians
  90. White, T.H. – The Once and Future King
  91. Wollstonecraft, Mary – Maria, or the Wrongs of a Woman
  92. Woolf, Virginia – Orlando
  93. Woolf, Virginia – Mrs Dalloway
  94. Wyndham, John – The Day of the Triffids
  95. Yeats, W.B. – Collected Poems
  96. Yeats, W.B. – Irish Fairy Tales
  97. Zola, Emile – Germinal
  98. Zola, Emile – Nana
  99. Zola, Emile – The Dream
  100. Zola, Emile – Therese Raquin


So those are my 100 classics to read before my 21st birthday. This list isn’t set in stone, I’m sure I’ll add more to this list and there will be ones I take off in that time but these are the ones I’m currently thinking of. I’ll updating this list as I read the above books and I’ll be posting my thoughts on each book as I finish them.


Are any of you participating in Classics club?