6 Aug 2014

Cover Comparison - Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Hey! Today, I've got a massively exciting post to share with you all. My new friend, the lovely Ebony from Paperbacks & Protagonists is joining me to talk about covers, specifically, a few different covers from Jane Eyre. We also did a similar post on Ebony's blog talking about the different covers of The Diviners by Libba Bray, so don't forget to check that one out too!

For this post, I picked eleven different covers/edition of Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte and sent them over to Ebony. We each wrote a little paragraph about our opinions on each cover, so without further ado, let's get to those covers!


 
 1. Barnes and Noble Hardcover
Ebony: I love, love, love, love this edition! I was actually going to buy this for myself, but instead I ended up getting an equally lovely edition. I really love the simplicity of this cover - it looks like a classic, and one that should be sitting in a lovely, big, home library. I also think that the edges of the pages are red, but I’m not 100% sure, so please don’t quote me on that one. There isn’t a lot to say about this cover other than I love it.
Ely: I think I’m probably one of the only people on Earth who isn’t such a big fan of the Barnes and Noble hardcover classics. That being said, I actually like this one – I love the pattern and the text and just how simple it is- it really suits the book.

 2. Michael O'Mara
Ebony: This is very lovely. Simple, but lovely, and very appealing. I love the bright blue of the flowers against the grey.
 
Ely: This is by far my favourite edition of Jane Eyre that I’ve ever seen, possibly of any book ever. It’s just completely stunning- I love how simple it is and the flower/blossom, SO BEAUTIFUL. Admittedly, it’s probably not the best representation of the actual story but hey, it’s pretty!


 3. Octopus Publishing
Ebony: Another lovely and simple design. I love the colours of the floral pattern and the fact that the title and the author are in a diamond shape rather than the more traditional rectangle.

Ely: This is probably one of my least favourite covers. I think maybe for a different book, this would be a nice cover but it’s so bright and un-Jane Eyre-ish that I just can’t.


 4. Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition
Ebony: This is the edition I own, and I think it’s breathtaking. Illustrated covers are my weakness, and this one is definitely no exception. I love the spooky feel that the drawing evokes and the fact that the lantern that Jane is holding is gold-foiled. I love the colour scheme and I love that the font fits in well with the somewhat spooky theme of the cover. The back of this book is also rather lovely. 

Ely: I didn’t like this edition the first time I ever saw it online, but since Ebony bought it and I actually got to see it in person, well it’s grown on me.  Also, I didn't know the lantern was gold-foiled, that is seriously awesome!


 5. Penguin Classics
Ebony: I usually don’t like these editions of classics, but I find this one rather attractive. Again, a simple yet effective design. I really like the model on this cover, which is saying something as they’re becoming a bit of a pet peeve for me. (Simply because you can’t get away from covers with people on them.)

Ely: I love these editions- they’re so cheap and you can usually find them in every bookstore. Some of them aren’t so great, but I don’t hate this one – the girl looks sort of how I picture Jane so that’s a bonus.


 6. Penguin Clothbound Classics
Ebony: These editions are just stunning. I like the red against the grey and the repeated flower pattern is very attractive. 

Ely: Who doesn’t love these editions? They’re wonderful. I don’t think this is my favourite design though- I don’t know, it lacks something I think. I think this might be one of those that looks better in person.


 7. Puffin
Ebony: I’ve never seen this cover before Ely and I began discussing this post, but it’s one that I really like! I love the artistic feel to this cover and the fact that Jane is facing away from the reader instead of towards. I also love the plume of smoke that takes shape of another woman, at least in my eyes. The colours work very well together and this is overall a very appealing cover. 

Ely: I have problems with this one, which is why I picked it for this post. I love the text and the white smoky thing- that’s awesome, and I even kind of like the girl. THE COLOURS THOUGH…bright yellow and orange, what were you thinking? THEY ARE NOT JANE EYRE-ISH COLOURS!!! (Sorry) Otherwise, it's a nice cover.


 8. Sandstone Publishing
Ebony: This is another edition that looks as though it’s fit for a library. I also don’t like a lot of these editions, but again, this cover isn’t terrible. The colours don’t jump out at me and make me want to pick it up, but I do like the overall design of this cover. It has a very Victorian feel to it (in my eyes), and I definitely think that this cover suits the time period of the novel.

Ely: This is the edition I currently own, and I like it but I don't love it. It’s a very elegant design and the colours are perfect, I think it reflects the story quite well but it’s nothing special. Admittedly, I only have this edition because I got it for free.


 9. Spanish

Ebony: This is a lovely cover. I love the white backdrop with the illustrated tree with Jane sitting on a bench beneath it. I think it works rather well. However, I think that the text (both the font and the placement) are a bit off from the rest of the design. Surprisingly, this is my least favourite edition.


Ely: I don’t hate this cover- I love illustrated designs, I think they’re amazing. It’s got that creepy vibe to it too that suits the story. I love the tree and owl more than anything, but as Ebony said- the text is a bit weird.

 10. Splinter Classic Lines
Ebony: This edition is gorgeous! I love the illustration and the text and the shade of purple against the white makes me eyeballs want to cry tears of happiness.
 
Ely: I love these designs, they are seriously brilliant! I love the sort of watercolour effect to them and purple in my absolute favourite colour, so I adore this one. I love the detail of the branches in the bottom corner and the fonts are magnificent.


  11. White's Books

Ebony: To me, this cover is just “meh.” I don’t feel as though the colours work the best together, although I do like the overall illustration. I actually like the placement of the title, but feel that it probably isn’t in the best of positions if someone was scanning the shelves of a bookstore and wanted to know what this book was without picking it up. 


Ely: I chose this one because I think it’s interesting. I love all the different shapes and lines and I ADORE these colours- the purple, orange, white and black against the greyish tone looks phenomenal. How Jane Eyre-ish is it? I don’t know, but it’s pretty to look at! 

 FINAL THOUGHTS


Ebony: My favourite, without a doubt is definitely the Barnes and Noble edition. However, this is closely followed by the Penguin Classic Deluxe Edition. For third place, I’m going to have to say that the Penguin Classics edition takes the cake - which is the most surprising thing I’ve said to myself in years.

Ely: Personally, I love the Michael O'Mara edition the most- it just speaks to my soul. Then I'd have to say the Splinter Classic Lines edition because it's gorgeous. Finally, the Penguin Classic Deluxe Edition- it's beautiful and the gold-foiled lantern has really sold it for me!
 
Thank you to the lovely Ebony for agreeing to collab with me! If you aren't already (I don't know why you wouldn't be), make sure to follow her blog/YouTube/Twitter etc. she is really is wonderful. 

 

1 comment:

  1. I think my favourite would have to be the Barnes & Noble edition! Why don't we have Barnes & Nobles in Canada?? I haven't read Jane Eyre yet but when I do, I'm going to make sure that I get that copy of it! My next favourite would be the Penguin Clothbound Classics. I just have a soft spot for those books and the inexplicable urge to collect all of them because they're just so cute! I also quite like the White's Books edition. I think it's really interesting to look at! The colours kinda reminds me of something spooky like Halloween. I haven't read Jane Eyre so I'm not sure if that's kinda the feel of the book but if it is, then I think the cover does a really good job of capturing that mood!

    ReplyDelete