13 May 2014

Five Books I Almost Put Down But Didn't

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, and you can find more about this meme here. This week's list is ten books I almost put down but didn't. This one was a hard topic for me, if I'm not enjoying a book I'll either put it back in my shelves to read later (usually, months later) or if it's a library book, I'll just return it. I've stopped forcing myself to finish books that I'm really not liking. That being said, I came up with five books.

1. The Archived by Victoria Schwab
This is the most recent one, I really wasn't enjoying this at first. In fact, it took me two or three weeks to get passed the first 30 pages and I was really considering returning it to the library unread. Then I decided to just read a little more, and then suddenly- I was hooked.


2. Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier
Some of you might know, that I absolutely adore Rebecca so it might slightly surprise you that this book is on my list. I don't really consider this as a book I almost put down, because it was more of a book I never bothered to pick up. I borrowed it from the library a couple of times, but never read it. Now it's one of my absolute favourites.

3. More Than This by Patrick Ness
This is also a favourite of mine now. Going into this book, I was expecting a contemporary so when I got a sci-fi dystopian-y sort of thing, I considered putting it down. I don't know why I decided to keep reading, but I'm glad I did.

4. Stolen by Lucy Christopher
This is another one that I really loved once I'd finish, but this is a difficult book to get through. It honestly messes with your mind so much, and that's why I considered putting it down but in the end I didn't.

5. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
This one might surprise a few people. It's actually one that I did put down for about a year and it's not because I wasn't enjoying it. The fact is, everyone of my friends who read this book told me it broke their hearts and I just wasn't ready for that pain. I did pick it up again, I loved it but surprisingly, the movie made me cry more...

Did any of you feel the same about any of these books?


8 comments:

  1. I SO need to read The Book Thief. Argh! Why haven't I gotten to it yet?!! I kind of agree with you on Stolen. I didn't end up liking it very much...but I could NOT put it down. I had to find out. ;)
    My TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god, it's sooooo good Cait, you have to read it! I totally get why you'd not like Stolen, it's completely terrifying. Thanks for commenting again Cait :)

      x Ely

      Delete
  2. I loved Stolen, I loved it like there's no tomorrow. When I finished, I had Stockholm Syndrome by association. I was not only a teary mess, but it ruined me for all other books for weeks. It's creepy and sickening, but the location is incredible, like a love letter to the outback. I always recommend it to people who want to read something different, but either they hate it, or love it, there doesn't seem to be many in between.

    Loved More Than This as well. I was the opposite, I expected a hardcore dystopian, but it was really strange and didn't know where it was going. Love your choices, have to check the few out I haven't heard of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit, I also cried. I remember finishing it, putting it down beside me and being like 'Wellllll, what now?' I think it's definitely one that sticks with you.

      More Than This was amazing, wasn't it?

      x Ely

      Delete
  3. wahhh I haven't read any of these, EXCEPT THE BOOK THIEF, which I couldn't put down because I had book club the next day and I procrastinated on reading it as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally did the same thing, only I read it the next before I went and saw the movie- like the 400 and something pages I hadn't read.

      x Ely

      Delete
  4. Fantastic list, Ely! After reading what you have said about The Archived, I'm even more intrigued to finally read this book! I can't believe your library has a copy - my library hardly has any of the books I want these days, which is a bit of a pain.

    I'd never heard of Rebecca before visiting your blog, and seeing how much you love it, I definitely think I'm going to have to read it some day!

    I got a copy of More Than This for my birthday, so I'm glad to hear how much you like it - the synopsis is rather vague and intriguing.

    Aah, Stolen. I really need to read this one, but from what I've heard, I can understand why it's not a lot of people's cup of tea.

    The Book Thief is on my list as well, but for a different reason (as you've already pointed out.) :) I actually think the movie made me cry harder too, but that may be because I saw it first? I'm not entirely sure.

    Thanks for sharing, Ely. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ebony, you have to read The Archived- OH MY GOD. It's sooooo good, as is Rebecca, More Than This and Stolen. They're all amazing, really. I actually finished the book the night before I saw the movie, so I think that might be why for me!

      x Ely

      Delete